- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
City firefighters alert man to fire that erupted in shop
It wasn’t until firefighters showed up at his door last Thursday evening that an Oak Harbor homeowner realized his house was on fire.
Oak Harbor Fire Chief Ray Merrill said the resident of a Southeast Fourth Avenue home had a wood stove burning in an attached shop all day long. The radiant heat from the exhaust pipe sparked a conflagration.
A neighbor noticed the fire on an outside wall and called 9-1-1.
Merrill said the resident was surprised.
“We contacted him in his front room and he didn’t even know his house was on fire,” the chief said.
Merrill said firefighters made it to the house in just three minutes and were able to extinguish the blaze in about five or six minutes.
Nobody was injured in the fire.
The department responded with an engine, two command vehicles and a ladder truck. Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services also sent an engine truck.
Merrill said the fire was contained to the exterior wall and caused about $3,000 worth of damage.
According to the fire chief, the resident’s project in the shop was unharmed.