Motorcycle accidents claim two Oak Harbor residents in a month

Two Oak Harbor residents were killed in separate motorcycle accidents in the last month.

Emily A. Webb, a 33-year-old Oak Harbor resident, died Thursday afternoon after losing control of her motorcycle on North Whidbey.

James L. Hughes, Jr., a 51-year-old Oak Harbor resident, died June 2 from injuries sustained when his motorcycle was struck by a van on North Whidbey May 25.

Trooper Norm Larsen with the Washington State Patrol is investigating both accidents.

While it’s unusual to have two motorcycle-related fatalities so close together, Larsen pointed out that the circumstances of the two accidents are very different.

The State Patrol reported that Webb was riding a 2004 Honda CBR600 north on Reservation Road. Larsen said she and two male friends on motorcycles were riding together on three motorcycle.

Webb lost control at a curve near the intersection with Hersig Road. The motorcycle left the roadway to the right, struck two posts and came to rest a significant distance off the road.

The accident was reported at 4:32 p.m.

Webb, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Larsen said the cause of the accident was excessive speed. It’s unknown if alcohol was involved.

Island County Coroner Robert Bishop said Webb’s family members are flying in from Nevada. He said Webb was formerly in the military.

In the Hughes accident, the State Patrol reported that he was traveling east on Southwest Fort Nugent Avenue on a 2009 Yamaha XV17AW in the morning of May 25.

Timothy Collett, a 45-year-old Oak Harbor resident, was driving a 2008 Chevrolet Express Van west on SW Fort Nugent May 25. He attempted to turn left onto Southwest Stremler Drive and struck Hughes’ motorcycle, according to the State Patrol.

Cause of the accident, according to the State Patrol, was that Collett failed to yield the right of way. Any possible charges are pending as the investigation is ongoing.

Hughes, who was wearing a helmet, was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center and Hospital in Seattle to be treated for life-threatening head injuries.

He died June 2.

Hughes was well known and respected in Oak Harbor. He served in the Navy for 30 years and retired as a lieutenant.

Hughes was a member of the St Augustine’s Catholic Church, the VFW, American Legion, Fleet Reserves, Retired Officer‚‘s Association, and Star Touring.

Full obituary for Hughes appears on page A8 of today’s Whidbey News-Times.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates