- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Blaze damages Oak Harbor condominium
An unattended kitchen fire nearly destroyed a condominium in Oak Harbor Wednesday.
Oak Harbor Fire Department Chief Ray Merrill said the incident was reported by a 911 caller at about 2:30 p.m. and occurred at the Courtyard Condominium complex off Southeast Eighth Avenue.
Firefighters arrived within a few minutes and found smoke pouring from the building.
Teams entered the structure and found the fire had begun in the kitchen, but had spread into the attic.
“The guys did a quick attack” and were able to snuff out the flames before the blaze grew too large to contain, Merrill said.
One fire engine and one ladder truck were sent to combat the blaze but the department also received assistance from Navy Region Northwest Fire and Emergency Services, the chief said.
“As usual, they supplied an engine and did an excellent job,” Merrill said.
Two people were home at the time and both were evacuated safely but, the structure sustained up to $15,000 in damages.
Roof rafters will need replacing and there was light smoke damage throughout the building.
Merrill said the fire was the result of grease that was left in a pan on the stove.
Unattended, the grease ignited and the flames traveled up the stove’s vent to the attic.
Merril credited his firefighters with a lighting-fast response and for their quick work in extinguishing the flames.
The fire was contained and caused moderate damage to the building but it had the potential to be much worse, he said.
The fire resulted in the closure of Southeast Glencoe Street for about an hour.