Whidbey News-Times


Oak Harbor church video leads to camera thief

Whidbey News-Times Co-editor
February 1, 2013 · 2:45 PM

An alleged burglar discovered that it’s not a good idea to steal security cameras and leave behind the video for the police to watch.

The suspect, a 25-year-old transient named Louis Scarpino, is now facing a long list of charges associated with a series of burglaries in Oak Harbor. He’s being held in jail on $50,000 bail.

Scarpino pleaded not guilty in Island County Superior Court Jan. 22 to two counts of burglary in the second degree, theft in the second degree, two counts of theft in the third degree, possession of stolen property, two counts of malicious mischief and vehicle prowling.

Oak Harbor Police Officer Robert Mirabal investigated the theft of security cameras from the outside of Living Word Church in December. Two cameras were taken and a third was damaged in two different incidents. The thief had also broken the sidings on the church and damaged a rain gutter when pulling one of the cameras down.

The officer went through the video and saw footage of Scarpino stealing one of the cameras on Dec. 15, according to the police report.

The video from Dec. 28 shows a person who looks similar to Scarpino walking in the area of the cameras. One by one, the cameras shake violently and then go blank, the report indicates.

Then on Dec. 31, Officer Tony Slowik investigated a burglary at the Homes For Rent business. An employee found that someone had vandalized the office and stolen a computer, software, a drain jetter and other items. The burglar also sprayed orange and white paint on the walls.

A couple of days later, Scarpino was arrested on a warrant. The officer looked through his possessions at the jail and found software boxes that had allegedly been stolen from Homes For Rent. In addition, Scarpino had paint on his hand that matched the paint that was sprayed at the business.

On Jan. 2, a North Whidbey resident allegedly caught Scarpino inside his truck, armed with a machete.

According to a deputy’s report, a woman saw Scarpino walk behind her house early in the morning, so she woke her boyfriend and alerted him. The man went outside and found Scarpino in his truck. Scarpino dropped the machete he was holding when the man said he had a gun.

The man marched Scarpino to the front of the house and pinned him down to the ground until the police arrived. Deputies discovered that Scarpino had also tried to break into a neighboring home, according to the deputy’s report.


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us