Iffy call beats Oak Harbor

Wednesday’s soccer game was a rare opportunity for the Oak Harbor Wildcats.

Coming off a 1-0 win over Everett on April 21 and following up with a 2-1 victory over Stanwood Tuesday night, the Wildcats had a rare chance to make it three straight in a rematch against the Seagulls at Memorial Stadium.

Three consecutive soccer victories by an Oak Harbor team is an occurrence that has not taken place in recent memory.

After a scoreless first half, the Wildcats appeared to be well on their way to pulling off the unexpected when senior forward Sam Wagner rolled a shot in the net past Everett goal keeper Ivan Gossen at the 47-minute mark in the second half.

Oak Harbor then went to work at the defensive end of the field and held Everett in check until Malik Hajam beat Wildcat keeper Zach Koeller with a shot to tie the score with 15 minutes remaining in the contest.

The score remained tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, sending the game into overtime. That’s when things got ugly.

In the first five-minute overtime period the Wildcats had three shots on goal but couldn’t put the ball in the net and the game went into the second five-minute overtime.

Early in the period, a shot hit the cross bar above Gossen’s head, dropped straight down and was kicked away by Everett’s defenders. The officiating crew ruled the ball had not touched the goal line and play continued.

As a result of the ruling, Oak Harbor coach Steve Barker was livid.

“It was beyond the line,” he said. “It was a bad, a terrible, terrible call, it was in the net. We had one earlier in the game that was also questionable. When you have referees that can’t keep up with the game that’s what happens.”

With less than two minutes remaining in the second overtime period, Everett captain Cole Anderson slipped behind the Wildcat defenders and scored on a breakaway, giving the Seagulls a 2-1 victory.

The win was Everett’s first of the season.

Oak Harbor had chances to put the game away early and out-shot the Seagulls 22-17.

“We should have had the game, we just didn’t finish when we needed to,” Barker said. “We have to win when we have our chances, that was the problem. Still, we had a tremendous week and we really wanted to win the third one. Now we just have to go back at ‘em, it’s all we can do.”

Oak Harbor (3-9) hosts Monroe at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates