News

New fields coming to Fort Nugent Park

Construction of the final phase at Oak Harbor’s Fort Nugent Park should begin in July.

Last week, the Oak Harbor City Council approved a contract to build two new fields with Seattle-based Ohno Construction for $1.1 million. It will be funded by $750,000 from the community parks account, which comes from impact fees that developers pay. Also, Island County donated $50,000 and the rest will come from real estate excise tax.

One percent, or $11,000, will be set aside for the city arts program.

The company will construct two sand-based, irrigated natural turf fields for football and soccer.

City officials stressed that the field will be top-notch. City Engineer Eric Johnston said they will be “very high quality.”

“They will be much higher quality than the lower fields,” he said.

Officials from the youth soccer and football leagues expressed their happiness at the plans.

“The fields we are currently using are not the safest place for the children to play,” said Mark Schroeder of Oak Harbor Youth Football. “From what I understand, these new fields will be much better to play on.”

You can reach News-Times reporter Jessie Stensland at jstensland@whidbeynewstimes.com or call 675-6611.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.