- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Man barred from contact with girl
A 37-year-old Oak Harbor man accused of molesting a child three years ago was recently charged in Island County Superior Court, court documents state.
Prosecutors charged Jemmeray Gragas June 18 with child molestation in the first degree.
On July 9, Island County Superior Court Judge Alan Hancock approved a sexual assault protection order barring Gragas from contact with the alleged victim.
According to the report by Oak Harbor Police Officer Cedric Niiro, a counselor at an elementary school reported in November of 2004 that a 9-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted.
The girl told police that her mothers live-in boyfriend, Gragas, has molested her numerous times over a two-year period, Niiro wrote. She said he would come into her bedroom while she was sleeping.
Gragas told police that he had never abused the girl and denied going into her room. He said the girl was mad at him because he was hard on her about her homework, Niiro wrote.
Gragas has no criminal history, according to court documents.
If convicted of the charge, Gragas would face between four years and three months to five years and eight months in prison under the standard sentencing range.