- About Us
Join the fund and Preserve the Reserve
In 1857, Winfield Ebey, and his cousin George Beam, began building a tavern as a means of supporting their brother’s orphaned children. It still stands today, 150 years later, as the Ferry House of Ebey’s Reserve.
The Reserve contains more than 450 historical buildings which are identified on the National Register of Historic Places. To maintain and preserve our rural heritage for ourselves and the nation, the Ebey’s Forever Fund was established in 2009, and in 2011 began to award grants. in two years, over $108,000 has been given for the preservation of 18 properties. And this money has been leveraged by nearly 2 to 1 by the property owners providing the required match.
Thanks to the commitment of the communities involved in this effort, an anonymous donor has made a 1:1 challenge grant of $75,000 for the remained of 2012.
Come for and evening of fun on Saturday, Aug. 18, and help meet this all-important challenge to “Preserve the Reserve.” There will be docent guided tours, a picnic, music and a raffle. Tickets remain and can be secured on line at www.brownpapaertickets.com/event/260051. Or call the Trust Board Office at 678-6084. All proceeds will go to the Ebey’s Forever Fund and be counted in the challenge grant.