- About Us
Accused Oak Harbor child molester’s victim total stands at 4
A judge reduced the bail last week of an Oak Harbor Cub Scout leader accused of raping and molesting boys, but the defendant hasn’t been able to bail out.
Attorney Sharon Fields of Mount Vernon successfully argued during a hearing in Island County Superior Court last week that bail should be reduced for her client, 30-year-old Anthony Polubinski.
He’s accused of molesting and raping boys; four possible victims have been identified, according to the Island County Sheriff’s Office. That’s up from one when Polubinski was arrested last month.
Fields stressed that there’s no evidence Polubinski molested boys he met through Cub Scouts, which investigators feared at first. She said a judge’s decision to set his bail at $500,000 was an overreaction.
“Things got a little blown out of proportion at the get-go,” she said.
The attorney said a friend had offered to let Polubinski stay at his 40-acre property near Darrington, where he can work chopping wood. There are no children nearby or internet access, but electronic home monitoring would be available.
“It’s sort of a mountain man existence,” Fields said.
Eric Ohme, senior deputy prosecutor, argued vigorously against a change in the bail. He said Polubinski poses a very significant flight risk because he’s facing a possible sentence of more than 20 years in prison.
“Sending a man facing that kind of time to live like a mountain man seems like a very bad idea,” he said.
Nevertheless, Judge Alan Hancock reduced Polubinski’s bail to $75,000 and ordered that he make arrangements for electronic home monitoring --- at his expense --- before leaving jail.
Prosecutors charged Polubinski April 30 with child molestation in the first degree, child molestation in the second degree, rape of a child in the second degree, rape of a child in the third degree, possession of child pornography and intimidating a witness.
The first-degree child molestation and second-degree child rape charges include “special allegations” that the victim was particularly vulnerable and the defendant abused a position of trust. Such special allegations could potentially increase a sentence.
If convicted of the current charges, Polubinski could face from 17.5 years to just over 23 years in prison under the standard sentencing range.
Island County Prosecutor Greg Banks said his office will likely charge Polubinski with additional counts related to other alleged victims.
The alleged victim, who is now 18, claimed that Polubinski started molesting and raping him when he was 8 or 9 years old. The young man said the sexual assaults occurred “thousands of times,” according to the report by Detective Laura Price with the Island County Sheriff’s Office.
Polubinski allegedly told the teenager not to tell about the abuse or it would “tear the family apart,” which is why he was charged with intimidating a witness.
The victim said Polubinski took photos during the sexual assaults. The detectives obtained a search warrant and seized computers from the suspect’s home on Troxell Road. An investigator located pornographic images of the teenager in a search of the computers, according to the police report.
The young man said he witnessed Polubinski sexually assault three additional juvenile males, which detectives confirmed from images on his computers. Detective Price said investigators found images of a possible unidentified fifth victim.