News

Coupeville fire cause traced to heater

A fire that destroyed a two-story home on NE Leisure Street in Coupeville this past March has been determined an accident.

According to Central Whidbey Fire Chief Ed Hartin, investigators dug through the rubble and determined that the fire was started by a wall heater in a basement bathroom. It’s not clear why or how the device malfunctioned, only that it was the source.

“The challenge with those types of wall heaters is they don’t have an off switch,” he said.

The heater is believed to have been installed when the house was built in 1972. He recommended that anyone with similar heaters, especially ones that old, have them inspected on a regular basis.

The house belonged to Jeannette Omar, the former owner of the Knead and Feed restaurant on Coupeville’s waterfront. The fire, which took place March 29, was reported by neighbors at about 2 a.m. but may have been burning for much longer.

The home was completely destroyed.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates