Dog missing, owner gets gun

An assault that escalated into an armed standoff with police on West Beach Road Oct. 3 started when a woman let a dog out of a man’s house, court documents indicate.

Prosecutors charged 24-year-old Robert Remiesiewicz of Oak Harbor in Island County Superior Court Oct. 6 with two counts of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of assault in the fourth degree. He pleaded not guilty Oct. 18.

Superior Court Judge Vickie Churchill originally set Remiesiewicz’s bail at $100,000 Oct. 4. At the Oct. 18 hearing, Judge Alan Hancock lowered the bail, over the objection of the deputy prosecutor, to $15,000 after about 10 members of the Navy said Remiesiewicz, who’s also in the Navy, would be watched over by the military and would be placed in treatment.

According to the report by Lt. Mike Hawley with the Island County Sheriff’s Office, the incident occurred at Remiesiewicz’s home on West Beach Road. He and his roommate had three people over on the morning of Oct. 3.

Witnesses said that Remiesiewicz became enraged when one of the friends, a 22-year-old woman, neglected to shut a sliding glass door and his dog escaped. He pushed her to the ground and swore at her, the report states.

After unsuccessfully looking for the dog, Remiesiewicz returned and attacked the woman again. He pushed her to the ground and punched her three times in the face, the report states.

The woman ran inside to call 911, but Remiesiewicz followed and went into his room, where he grabbed a pistol, loaded a magazine and chambered a round. The woman saw this and ran outside and hid in a neighboring unlocked, unoccupied unit.

Two other friends, a man and a woman, also saw Remiesiewicz with the gun and ran out the front door. Remiesiewicz followed and leveled the gun at them, so they dove for cover; he went back inside and then to the backyard overlooking the bluff.

Hawley wrote that he and a couple of other deputies looked at the backyard from a concealed vantage point and saw Remiesiewicz standing next to the bluff with the gun pointed at his temple. His roommate was next to him, pleading with him to put the gun down. The two men eventually went back inside; Remiesiewicz walked with the gun to his head, Hawley wrote.

The sheriff’s former, SWAT-like Hard Entry and Arrest Team, also known as HEAT, arrived on the scene. They entered the neighboring unit and saved the woman, who was hiding in a closet. About 15 minutes later, the team entered Remiesiewicz’s residence and took him into custody without incident, the report states.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates