Letter: Immigrants are not the source of America’s woes

Editor,

Three people in the United States have more combined wealth than half of all Americans. Since the late 1970s, CEO pay has increased over 900 percent while the income of an average worker has increased 11 percent, both percentages adjusted for inflation.

Wealthy private insurance carriers are fighting against Obamacare at the same time that injured people are begging others not to call an ambulance for lack of ability to pay.

A minimum wage worker cannot afford a dignified life — a safe, clean residence, healthy food, medical care, transportation, etc. — while corporations spend millions to keep the minimum wage low and unions powerless.

Tens of millions of Americans live in poverty or near-poverty, including over 16 million children, while politicians want to put more money and influence into the hands of millionaires.

And, for some reason, people like Ed Hickey and Richard Ays are mad at immigrants? People who not too long ago once demanded that “All Lives Matter” now want to give human lives the cold shoulder?

Immigrants aren’t hurting America. Greedy, self-centered Americans are hurting America. Nothing makes the wealthiest 10 percent happier than seeing the other 90 percent attack each other.

While people whine about immigrants seeking better lives just like our own ancestors did, the wealthy are laughing all the way to the bank and we’re cleaning up their party trash — for minimum wage, of course.

Let’s get our priorities straight.

David Coleman,

Oak Harbor

More in Letters to the Editor

Letter: Chief of staff at WhidbeyHealth keeping his door open, agenda transparent

Editor, As incoming chief of staff for WhidbeyHealth for the 2019-20 period,… Continue reading

Letter: Sense of community is strong on Whidbey Island

Editor, I recently moved back to Whidbey Island after a number of… Continue reading

Letter: Congrats on the successful effort to reopen pool

Editor, Congratulations to everyone who supported the levy to reopen the Oak… Continue reading

Letter: Island Transit campaign raises awareness about road safety

This time of year, it’s dark when I leave my house in… Continue reading

Letter: With tax losses, fewer tourists, where will money come from?

Editor, I appreciated Maryon Atwood’s Sound Off column of about a month… Continue reading

Letter: Join group, start a journey, expand your mind, heal

Editor, I am hoping that we can leave divisive politics for a… Continue reading

Letter: WhidbeyHealth oncology thanks patients, families

Editor, Fourteen months later, WhidbeyHealth has completed the new pharmacy that meets… Continue reading

Letter: Navy seeking comments on nonexisting agreement

Editor, A Memorandum of Agreement, or MOA, means acceptance or endorsement. Unfortunately,… Continue reading

Letter: Memo of agreement does not reflect Trust’s view

Editor, The Navy has determined that expansion of the Growler operations at… Continue reading

Most Read