There are several activities to choose from this weekend and beyond to observe Veterans Day:
• A Veterans Day PANCAKE BREAKFAST will be held from 7-10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 10 at Harbor Tower Village, 100 E. Whidbey Ave., Oak Harbor. Admission is free for veterans, cost for all others is $5. In addition, a gift basket will be raffled. All proceeds from the raffle will go to the Help House food bank in Oak Harbor. Call 360-675-2569 for details.
• There will be a Veterans Day CEREMONY at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 10 at the Oak Harbor High School Performing Arts Center/Student Union to honor those who have served and those currently serving in the Armed Forces. The ceremony will feature guest speaker retired Rear Adm. Bill McDaniel, musical performances by the Daybreak Trio, First United Methodist Church Chancel Choir, Oak Harbor High School Harbor Singers and the All-Island Community Band. This event is sponsored by the Oak Harbor Area Council of the Navy League.
• Oak Harbor’s first ever Veterans Day PARADE will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10 in downtown Oak Harbor. The parade will begin at the intersection of Midway Avenue and Pioneer Way and will proceed through downtown on Pioneer Way. Harry Ferrier, a survivor of the World War II Battle of Midway, will be the grand marshal. Other parade participants will include Pearl Harbor survivors, women veterans of WWII, members of several veteran organizations and the Oak Harbor High School Band. The parade takes place rain or shine.
• Members of Disabled Veterans of America Local Chapter 47 will conduct its annual FORGET ME NOT drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11 at various locations throughout Oak Harbor. All money collected goes directly to the transportation program and the purchase of the DAV’s next van, which helps ferry local veterans to the Seattle VA hospital. Call 360-257-4801 for information.
• Members of the American Legion Post 141 will distribute the AMERICAN LEGION POPPY from noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 11 at the Clinton ferry dock. Donations collected are used by the Legion Auxiliary to provide support services to the local veterans community.
• A Veterans Day PROGRAM will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 13 at Oak Harbor Elementary School, 151 SE Midway Blvd., Oak Harbor. Several special guests will be featured, including veterans and active duty personnel. Call 279-5107 for details.